Thursday 21 February 2008

thus far and no further...

Over the last year and a half I’d like to think that I’ve grown to appreciate different aspects of swedish life and culture (both from my UK viewpoint and from the trips we’ve taken there)...

So... I enjoy inglad sil (pickled herring), learnt to eat jam with meat (lingonbery, etc), enjoy crispbread, drink blueberry and rose-hip soup (although I can’t yet take nyponsoppa cold...), I will (under duress) own up to having a pair of “plastic shoes” or croc rip-offs, I enjoy Swedish crime novels (still only in English), (I could go on)...

However, I’m afraid there is a rubicon that I just can’t cross...

Watching the weekend’s Melodifestivalen (song for europe/eurovision song contest trials) I was reminded that I just don’t get swedish europop. (Ok I get their indie and alternative rock scene... just look at some of my old MOTD’s). And I’m afraid that I’ll have to admit to the cardinal sin of not liking ABBA.

There I said it. I’ve admitted it out loud...

Which is why I’m going to post this classic Not the Nine O’Clock News clip of “ABBA”

No comments: