Friday 23 November 2007

Swedish Word of the day...



I was sitting in the lobby/cafe of an expensive hotel yesterday waiting for a meeting. At the next table, a group of "businessmen" (with what I can only think to be lawyers or accountants) were discussing how they could "collapse" a company so avoid paying any tax on it. Honestly. They were going through all the "mistakes" that they knew others had made which made them liable for taxation...

I'm sorry but I see taxes as the subscription fee for belonging to a civilised society.

Which brings me to another interesting point. In the UK the torries have floated the idea that we should copy some aspect of the Swedish school system, but unlike Sweden they don't want the taxes to pay for it... nice try Dave the Chameleon.

So today's SWOTD is Skatt or "tax".

No comments: